ECR General Meeting
El Camino Reelers held its annual General Meeting on Wednesday, December 6. The Board presented the current state of the club, including our financial situation and plans for a weekend Blast Class on January 27-28. Other items of note:
- Starting in January, the door fee for Wednesday nights will go up to $8 ($7 with an 8-week subscription), the same as Tuesdays.
- Friday potluck door fees will also go up to $8. (We're looking for a new name to replace "$5 Friday").
- Members voted unanimously to raise the door fee for Saturday dances to $12 for guests, $10 for ECR members.
- Members also voted to purchase a new club banner, to be paid for by generous donations from Craig and Kim.
- We will be holding a Holiday Party, recognizing December birthdays and featuring an Ugly Sweater contest, on Wednesday, December 20. Rich will be calling.
For You Techies...
Square dancing is more than just a social activity. It's a whole domain of musical and mathematical problem solving. If this sounds intriguing, take a look at this video by MIT computer science professor (and Tech Squares caller) Guy L. Steele on the complexities of designing a singing call.
October 28: The Season of the Witch!
A bewitching evening of dancing, costumes and gooey treats at ECR's Halloween Ball with caller Michael Kellogg.
October 20: More Fun at ECR
The fourth in our series of "Fun Nights" (no-experience-needed dance parties) featured our own Senior Club Caller, Rich Reel. Rich taught some basic square dance moves including the awe-inspiring, death-defying "Grand Square", and kept the crowd laughing with his snappy patter. He gave some basic lessons in the Waltz and reprised the "Wild Wild West" mixer dance that Michael Levy presented at last month's Fun Night.
We'll be holding future Fun Nights on the third Friday of each month (December 15, January 19, February 23) featuring a variety of callers and dance styles to keep each event fresh and interesting. We have collected enough names of interested folks to make it look like our first Blast Class will be happening soon. Stay tuned!